Where is Schuyler-Colfax Middle School located?
1500 Hamburg Turnpike
Wayne, NJ 0747
What are the drop off and pick-up procedures?
For students who are driven to school, parents/guardians must observe the traffic pattern established and drop off their child in front of the building. Parents may NOT cut through the parking lot and allow their children to walk through traffic or drop off/pick up students in the staff parking area.
How do I let the school know that my child will not be in school?
Absences from school should be held to a minimum in the best educational interest of the student. The only reasons permitted for an excused absence are religious holidays, illness of the student,court appearance, or a death in the immediate family.
- Please call 973-633-3130, ext. 4 prior to 8:00 to let us know your child will be absent.
- For medically excused absences, please secure a physician's note while at the doctor's office. Provide this note to the nurse upon returning to school so that the absence can be recorded as excused.
- There may be times when parents choose to keep children out of school for other reasons, such as for traveling and family vacation trips. We, of course, discourage this practice, asking that you plan your vacation during scheduled school vacations.
- In cases of all pupil absences, students are held responsible for assignments. Teachers are expected to provide pupils with missed assignments and a suitable amount of time is provided for that purpose upon the student’s return.
How many hours does my child need to be present in school to receive credit for the school day?
Your child must be in school for four (4) and a half (1/2) instructional hours to receive credit for that school day.
What do I do when I drop off items for my children?
Although we strongly encourage our students to be responsible for their own belongings, we do understand that there are special circumstances that may arise. All visitors must report directly to the Security Office at Door 13. Items to be delivered to students during school hours are to be left in the foyer at Door 13 with the student's name on it and will be delivered to the student.
Are cell phones, cameras or iPods permitted in school?
- Cell phones:
Board policy does allow for students to have cell phones in their possession during the school day with the following expectations:
- Cell phones are to be stored in lockers throughout the day – NOT ON THE STUDENT’S PERSON.
- Cell phones are turned off at all times during school hours.
Violation of policy results in the confiscation of the phone only to be returned to a parent at the end of the school day.
At no time should students bring cameras to school. Violation of this rule will result in confiscation of the camera being returned only to a parent at the end of the school day.