School 2 Life, School 2 Work
Virginia Chiller, District Transition Coordinator
Wayne Hills: (973) 317-2057
Wayne Valley: (973) 317-2232
By now you have heard of transition services, but what exactly does that mean to you? Transition services look at the whole student and their needs.
Transition services are a coordinated set of activities for a pupil with educational disabilities, designed within an outcome oriented process, that promotes movement from school to post-school activities, including post-secondary education, vocational training, integrated employment (including supported employment), continuing and adult education, adult services, independent living, or community participation.
Just as each Individualized Education Plan is unique for each student, the transitional services will be individualized.
Some of the areas I can assist you with include:
- Post-Secondary Education- Community College vs. University
- Technical Schools-such as Berdan Institute, Chubb, Lincoln Tech
- IDEA vs. ADA accommodations
- Independent Living
- Transportation, Van Modifications, Access Link, New Jersey Transit
- Health-Related Supports
- Estate Planning and Guardianship
- Self-Advocacy Skills
- Contact with Government Agencies and navigating the paperwork
- Eligibility and Referral Process for Adult Services
Please contact me at your convenience to discuss any of these areas in which you might need information.